Every time I share this information with people they look at me like are you serious? It sounds crazy, but it works! Hydrotherapy or Ishnan is the use of cold water on your skin to help maintain your body healthy. You should not take cold showers when you are sick, have a fever, are pregnant or are on your moon cycle.
Ishnaan is an Indian word meaning the point at which the body temperature feels warmer than the coldness of the water. You are not going to use shampoo, soap etc. for this type of shower. Cold showers should be taken in the morning, or during the day when you need an energetic lift. Here are the steps you should take:
1. Lather your body with almond oil or other body oil of your choice.
2. Turn your shower on to cold (all the way cold)
3. Get ready and get in! Start with your limbs. Rub your arms and lower legs rigorously under the water. Avoid your upper thighs at first as this would unbalance the calcium levels in your body. Rub your belly and back, make your way up to your chest and upper back. Then start over from the beginning. Repeat this process until your body starts to feel warm.
4. Start with 3 minutes per day and make your way up to 12 minutes per day
Ok, so why would we take cold showers? First of all, when the cold water hits your skin your blood rushes to the edge of your body to try to warm you up. This continues as long as you are taking your shower. Your body eventually begins to feel warm and so you get out. When your blood no longer has to warm you up on the edge it returns back to your organs and other areas of your body. In this way, you are literally flushing your system. Your organs get a fresh supply of blood, moving toxins out.
Some more benefits:
* Brings blood to the capillaries, therefore increasing circulation throughout the body.
* Cleans the circulatory system
* Reduces blood pressure on internal organs
* Provides flushing for the organs and provides a new supply of blood
* Strengthens the parasympathetic and sympathetic nervous systems
* Contracts the muscles to eliminate toxins and poisonous wastes
* Strengthens the mucous membranes, which help resist hay fever, allergies, colds, coughs
* Cleanses the aura and produces powerful energy
* Generates an endorphin rush
If you’ve never tried Ishnan I think I can guess what you’re thinking. Ill try it next week, or there is no way I am going to get into a freezing cold shower. I had the same thoughts when I first tried it. But after my first time, I was amazed at how good and fresh and awake I felt. So what are you waiting for? Start tomorrow morning, you wont regret it!